Post Page Advertisement [Top]



Nothing significant here, just a post on some recent changes to my blog.
Finished Pat Dorsey's book, and still looking through the Investment Quadrant course materials, to finalise my watchlist template format, then maybe follow up with a book by Peter Lynch as well as a book by Joel Greenblatt to learn another investment strategy other than dividend plays (I'm not good at growth investing, so I'm using at some elements of value investing that I can apply with my limited knowledge and understanding, then maybe look at asset plays. Turnarounds/special situations might be quite difficult for me like growth investing).

As some of you may have known, my blog started off in Wordpress and now migrated to Blogspot for better UI and tweaks, and hopefully more developments in the future.

I was recently trying to tweak my blog's mobile version to get a more user friendly interface that I would be more satisfied with but no luck (trying to balance quick browsing, search and mobile loading times), then I discovered the Dynamic Views magazine layout, wow, it sure looked much polished.

For those of you who don't remember, this is the old theme:

Got a comment that this looked ugly ^^"

I initially used the above theme as it was minimal and clean, kinda what I liked in B's blog.

And this is the new one as you see from my site right now.

Looks much nicer, though slightly slower to load due to the scripts for dynamic views.


I tried to implement it for the mobile version, but it ended up showing my posts in full which is kinda makes quick browsing hard, takes longer to load too.

Also in addition, I added 5 new links which I thought would be useful (and currently using/used to use). Namely:
  • Vezted, a site which provides me updates on news, analysis reports, etc. Rusmin introduced it to me and I found it simple, clean and easy to use. Much easier than checking the SGX website daily.
  • SGX Cafe, this website is excellent at keeping track your watchlists (though limited to 30) as well as tracking how well your portfolio is performing so far. Damn good stuff. The owner is currently short on funds to maintain the site so if you like it please help to donate some spare change to him. :)
  • Singapore Dividend Stock Tracker, ran by the blogger of Investment Moats, used to use it as a quick look at dividend stocks with current numbers, that I am interested in (although now I use my own spreadsheet with all the numbers to track performance and to research).
  • Singapore REIT Data, from TheFifthPerson, for just a quick look on some basic numbers before you purchase a REIT (but please do your research).
  • Morningstar Financial Data, by none other than Morningstar, gives you many ratios and numbers to help you on your research, much easier than flipping pages of annual reports (My spreadsheet has a similar format but only focus on the ratios and numbers I am interested in).
  • (EDIT 16 July 16) TradingView, a site for charting for those of you into technical analysis (I use my own indicator sets on Ninjatrader for SGX and Thinkorswim for US).
  • (EDIT 16 July 16) SGX StockFacts, SGX own screening webpage, good to screen for stocks you are interested in (I used to use Google Finance, but it doesn't seem to work well for me anymore).
For those who don't know, the UOB Gold/Silver Prices are actually a good gauge on prices for precious metals, as well as UOB is the to-go place to buy your gold/silver, the local gold stores tend to markup the prices more by around 20-30%, and as these are all certified, I believe you can be more rest assured that they are genuine compared to the many gold scams as of recent.

I hope that these tiny tweaks would make the blog more useful :)

EDIT (23 May 16): I tweaked to only show the layout I wanted, which was the "Magazine" Dynamic View, as well as fixed the sidebar and prevented it from auto-hiding. I still can't make it a proper sidebar, more like a dock now. Will figure more things out. I fixed the subscription as well. Seems like Adsense doesn't work on a Dynamic View (due to javascript), might wanna look at other ideas, though I doubt I'll be able to monetarise my blog ^^"

EDIT (26 May 16): I switched to the "Simple" Template for mobile view to make it easier on the phone to view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]