Post Page Advertisement [Top]

After my rant of the new OCBC FRANK Credit Card CC updated terms and conditions, I decided to look for a new credit card for use of my OCBC 360 account.

After looking through all the OCBC Credit Cards, I guess I ended up with the PLUS! VISA Credit Card.


Now this is not a card for everyone, just so happen for now that card works best for me.

My spending habits are pretty frugal so I can't hit a minimum spend of $400 retail spend which excludes the $100 from NETS ATU of FRANK and online spend (despite using card for everything, even newspapers from 7-11).

So why PLUS! VISA?

Here are some reasons:
  1. Even if the benefits are null, it will be no different from acting as a debit card for me, but helping me to hit the $500 CC spend for the OCBC 360 account.
  2. Automatic fee waiver from 2nd year onwards when you charge at least $2500 in VISA transactions to your card per annum. Real easy to hit. I hate ringing up to call and waive fees as well.
  3. Earn 2% LinkPoints rewards on EZ-Reload (bus/train)
    • EzLink also have a reward system (other than TravelSmartRewards), called Perx. But it is more of a bonus than to actually save more.
  4. 3% discount at Popular (I do occasionally shop there)
  5. 5% off everything at FairPrice (I do occasionally do grocery shopping for my mum)
  6. 0.3% LinkPoints rewards on all VISA spend. Same as the revised OCBC FRANK rebate.
  7. Linkpoints earned can be used to redeem my brokerage charges at Lim&Tan, which frees up money for usage elsewhere. If not, using LinkPoints to pay for Fairprice items is also fine.
  8. It will replace my existing 365 card as well as my FRANK CC, but with one more EZLink card. However, I found out recently that you can link your credit card to your bank account to use as an ATM card (I only did for NETS), which may mean I have one less card to carry too! (EDIT, 15Nov16, Meh, PLUS credit cards cannot be linked to the standard OCBC accounts).
Depending on future lifestyle changes, FRANK might one day be useful again or even the 365 card be good. But for now, the PLUS! VISA Credit Card will fit my expenditure profile. :)

In the future, I might probably get a UOB One Card + One Account someday when my balances are much more, assuming they don't change their T&C by then as well as getting lifetime annual fee waiver. :p

Something like:
  • Credit Salary + 3 bills for OCBC 360 Account for 1.75% p.a. (Maybe a $500 CC spend if expenditure go much higher up)
  • $500 UOB One Card CC spend + 3 bills for UOB One about 2% as well.
  • More excess money will go into SSB/Fixed Deposits/CIMB StarSavers Savings Account.

EDIT (22 Sep 15): Just to let you folks know there are some fees especially for people like me who prefer to buy overseas:
  • Fees for Foreign Currency Transactions: All foreign currency transactions, other than USD are converted to USD, then converted to SGD based on respective card associations exchange rates, with a currency conversion charge imposed by respective card associations (1%) and an admin fee by the Bank, 1.8%, of the foreign currency transaction amount.
  • Dynamic Currency Conversion Fee: All Visa transactions effected in SGD in a foreign country or a foreign website are levied an additional fee of 0.8% on the converted SGD Amount.
  • Hmm have to see how I can work around with this :p (I might just apply for the 365 card in the future though)
 EDIT (31 Oct 15): I switched to OCBC 365 after analysing my recent expenditure trends, will cancel the PLUS card next year around Aug I guess.

EDIT (15 Nov 16): I switched back to PLUS because the 365 card have a huge minimum spend for auto waiver. Also, the Linkpoints gained can be used to save on grocery purchases and help here and there for reducing the prices of my share purchase contract with Lim&Tan.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I have both UOB One and OCBC 360 account. Personally I felt UOB One allow us to gain the maximum benefit (if you include the cash back from their CC) as they have no restriction on the use of cards as long as we hit their min. spending.

    What I did was that I helped my family and friends to pay for their bill on their behalf; in return I give them 5% cash back for their bills. This allows me to easily hit the 2k per month without overspend on unwanted stuff. With that, I am able to enjoy the maximum interest’s rates from UOB + some cash back for my daily spending and travel.

    Like you, I spend very little every month (about $300+) thus the moment OCBC change their rule, I could not get the rebate from them.

    Hope this is helpful to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raymond,

      Thanks for stopping by!

      I am considering that actually, just that my bank balance isn't that much to split at this point in time (UOB One pays a pittance for low deposit amounts), but I am interested in the UOB One Card.

      Actually, the main thing stopping me is the annual fee and needing to call to waiver.
      I'm still looking around at UOB booths to see if I can get one with a lifetime waiver :P

      Yea, I get what you mean. Problem is many of my family members use purely cash and bills are already giro-ed. :(

      Delete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]