Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Today is the day I breakeven with my university degree school fees. A follow up of my post about my investment in education here as well as increasing the ROI of my education here.



I wasn't that smart nor hardworking during poly days so I couldn't enter a local university.

Guess it turned out as a blessing in disguise.

During my national service, I was fortunately to get a stay out unit so I maximised my time by going to driving lessons as well as university night classes (UWA by PSB Academy), while juggling NS related duties (I remember I started with 10 duties a month @_@).

So as NS was ending, I spent the last few months clearing my off and leave, while kept going for interviews and landed my first job at a Cancer Institute at a local hospital, working to pay off my school fees.

My school fees totaled to about 40k.

Let's start off with how I calculate my breakeven period

I prefer to use a conservative method of calculating my breakeven by calculating how much I saved a month, instead of pure gross salary.

Do note that for simplicity, all earnings here here unless stated is post CPF deductions without income tax.

At that time, I saved 1.4k a month, with a take home salary 2.4k/month (on average) as I was eager to recover the cost of my education.

This calculates to about 36k p.a. gross income, about 24k p.a. net income, representing a Return on Investment of about 60% (the pros of salaried employees ;) ).

So calculating from my first job as a degree holder (May 2014, I graduated in Apr 2014), is about 29 months, which means it ends Feb 2017 (I excluded bonuses as they may be spent for one time expenses but ended up I managed to save two months of bonus and 1.4k from AWS in anyway).

I worked at that job for a year, ending up with about 12/29 months left.

After encashing 2 weeks of leave, 11/29 months left.

I jumped on an opportunity when an ex-colleague of mine introduced me to pharmaceutical manufacturing positions. So I left, going from research as a degree holder, straight to the industry, instead of going a big loop. 

As I had to worked on shift, this increased my monthly salary by about 33%, resulting in a take home pay of 3.42k/month (basic is lower at 2.4k/month). The bonus+AWS was estimated to be 2.5 months in total. (There is OT pay, unlike my prior job as well as for Masters/PhD, but for simplicity I will exclude that in the calculations)

This resulted in saving 2.1k a month (about 50% increase), so we get about 47k gross p.a., estimated 31k net p.a., resulting in about 77.5% ROI!

I started shift only in Sep 2015,so for my first month of work there, I saved 1.8k, and paired with 6 months of shift and prorated AWS. I have finally breakeven!

Breakeven 12 months ahead of schedule! :D

Now let's look at Saving 100k by Part Time Studies

Taking FRANK OCBC Education Standard 7 year Loan effective rate 5.29% p.a.:


In addition, studying full time, would have made me lose an average of $2066/mth, which totals to about 109.9k for 3.5 years, with 3 months bonus+AWS.

This is excluding about 18.7k in employers' contribution to my CPF!

And adding the interest for 7 years, this becomes a total sum of 141.8k!

That's almost 150k!

So have any of you tried seeing how much you save studying part time?

13 comments:

  1. Not all degrees are equal, duh.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Most successful people did full time degrees lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous (I'm guessing both replies are from the same person), I think a degree is just a key to open door, your attitude and experiences will play a major factor in the end :)

      I do realise that not all degrees are recognised by certain organisations. So I agree that a local full time university degree would be able to open more doors :)

      Since my part time degree is not as recognised, I figured I have to compensate by working to gain relevant work experience to make up for it, not just taking any other job to pay the fees. So by the time I graduated, I have already clocked 3+ years of work experience.

      I looked for jobs that paid better and ended up in the private sector.

      However, I did note that the pay for a full time degree holder vs a part time degree holder is more or less the same, interestingly. (Not to mention, compared to my prior job in the public sector, my salary would be comparable to one that has taken their MSc, so kinda of a good deal for the time and savings, I hope)

      Full time degrees or part time degrees, or even no degrees, I believe as long we are able to live comfortably in the way we want, everyone is more or less successful in what they wish to accomplish. :)

      Delete
    2. Thing is if you could go for a full time degree, you would, there's no denying, and you say this only because you didn't make it there

      Delete
    3. I do admit I couldn't get in to our local full time degrees because my grades were lousy (yes, I was pretty lazy during my poly days). ^^"

      But I do disagree on the point that I might have went full time to be honest. After my poly, I was already considering part time degrees as an option, as 2 years of NS would wipe my knowledge from school (and thus you require more catching up).

      I also had to pay my own school fees be it full time or part time degree. So full time degree is kinda hard to work and pay the fees. ^^"

      Delete
  3. Well done, keep it up
    I am sure within 10 years u will attain financial freedom, good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Felix for your kind words. I do hope I reach it too in 10 years :)

      Delete
  4. Good. We used the same strategy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Azrael I read this post and your positive energy in attitude towards overcoming challenges is really admirable. This is despite some anonymous fella who did not dare to put his name who posted his comments in a condescending manner. Not to mention that our government has been promoting a better Internet. Anyway cheers to you and I believe you will do very well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Anata BuBu :)

      I hope everyone does well in their own ways :)

      Delete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]