Post Page Advertisement [Top]



During the BIGS Investor Exchange (Thank you guys for setting up the event), Chris pointed out something that resonated within me when I was deciding to shift to my current job.

Chris pointed at this book (which is on my reading list but I haven't got time to read it yet), about Life Energy, I was surprised as there's actually someone who wrote about it in a book!

Kinda like a better version of my way of calculation which is
  • Actual income = (Take home salary) - (Employment related costs)
Employment related cost do include cost of food, cost of transport, stress related spending for me.

I did factor transportation time as well. In addition, my prior job didn't have much upwards progression (unless you studied further, but seeing how the industry was shifting was making me nervous) compared to what I do now. Bonus was about the same, but my prior job had slightly more increments.

But hey, why not do it from that idea?

I tabulated my comparison from then.

Med Tech

  • $640 per week
  • $20 on meals
  • $25 on transport
  • $0.2 stationery cost
  • $6 on average for clothes (based on average use wear)
  • $100 on recreational activities
  • $50 income tax
  • 55 hours on average
  • 10 hours traveling
  • 5 hours relaxation
So this gives me (640-20-25-0.2-6-100-50)/(55+10+5) = $6.27/hr

Biotech
  • $780 per week
  • $15.75 on meals
  • $18.75 on transport
  • $0.3 stationery cost (because the pens there suck and I can't use fountain pens)
  • $4 on average for clothes
  • $80 on recreational activities
  • $70 income tax
  • 43.75 hours on average
  • 5.25 traveling on average
  • 3.5 hours relaxation on average
So this gives me (780-15.75-18.75-0.3-4-80-70)/(43.75+5.25+3.5) = $11.26/hr

That's a HUGE whooping difference there.

Not to mention increased savings rate and time, which allows for more funds giving me the ability to research more stocks and try working on side ventures too.

The book goes to measure our impulse expenses/indulgences in terms of this hourly rate, but I tend to use my Free Cashflows generated from monthly income as a gauge (i.e. this branded item is how many months of my savings) as I see net savings as a true form of income.

Hmm, maybe I should do a comparison post of my performance against my prior job as a benchmark (10 years?).

That's all for this post.

What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]